This How to Do Needlepoint summary covers needlepoint threads, how to strip them and reassemble the bundles. Because many needlepoint threads come in multi-stranded bundles, this makes for smoother, better-looking stitching.
- Decide how many strands you will need for your stitching, It may be some or all of the bundle.
- Take your length of thread in one hand.
- With the other hand, take one strand only and pull it out of the bundle. Always pull in a straight line, not at an angle. This will make the thread come out smoothly.
- Repeat this process for all the strands you need for your stitching bundle.
- Now take all the strands and put them back together, so that the top ends are even.
- Run your fingers along the new bundle to make sure the threads stay together and are straight.
- Now you are ready to stitch.
Some Tips & Hints
When you put the removed strands down, place the ends near each other and running in the same direction (tops together). This makes it easier to reassemble the bundle.
If you are using hand-dyed or overdyed threads, reverse the direction of some strands to get a more uniform color.
Many people recommend doing many stitching bundles at one time.